in Appetizer, Dinner, Lunch, Recipes, Soup, Vegetarian
I’m starting to be a little wary of spicy corn soups. I absolutely love the, but sometimes they don’t come out quite right. The last time I made a spicy corn soup, it turned pink. Not just slightly pink either, it was bright pepto-bismol pink with bright yellow corn in it. My friend described it as Dr. Seuss soup. It tasted really good, but no one needs to see something like that on a food blog.
So when it was rainy and cloudy and I just wanted to eat soup, I was hesitant to try a corn soup. I stay away from corn chowders, because I don’t need a bunch of potatoes. As I was checking out at the grocery store and impulsively bought a magazine from Taste of Home featuring soups. It was WAY more expensive than I anticipated, but it has inspired many of my soups so it’s probably worth it.
They had one called Corn Chowder and Dumplings. I made a few adjustments and the end result was probably the best soup I’ve ever made. I swapped out the potatoes for sweet potatoes (that counts as healthy right?). Corn chowder with dumplings is a great soup for vegetarians that want a dumpling soup.
Corn Chowder and Dumplings
Delicious corn soup with dumplings.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups frozen corn
- 1 sweet potato, chopped
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 chipotles in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a saucepan, heat the oil.
- Add the onions and saute.
- Add the broth, corn, sweet potatoes, half and half, and chipotle peppers (plus extra adobo sauce if desired).
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- While simmering, prepare the dumplings.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Stir in the wet ingredients until just moistened.
- Once prepared, dropped the dumplings in the simmering soup.
- Cover the soup for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the dumplings comes out clean
- Avoid lifting the lid while simmering so the dumplings can cook properly