Probably every tourist who visited the capital of Ukraine tried traditional Kyiv cutlets. This is the dish that can definitely satisfy your taste buds. Of course, unfortunately, not all people can visit Kyiv, but it is possible to cook these cutlets without leaving home. Just use this recipe, which will help to cook exactly the dish that you need.
Chicken Kyiv cutlets are practically not seasoned because in the days of their creation chicken fillet was considered a delicacy, the taste of which should not be interrupted. Therefore, salt and pepper should be used very lightly. Usually, nothing is added to butter, but it is allowed to mix butter with greens. The cutlet is served on a small toast — a crouton, which will soak up melted butter when we cut the cutlet.
- 3 chicken breasts
- 60 g butter
- 2 eggs
- 200 g breadcrumbs (for example, gluten free italian bread crumbs)
- 6 tbsp. flour
- salt, freshly ground black pepper
- 1 liter refined odorless vegetable oil
- From each filet, we get 2 cutlets. Firstly, cut the breast across into 2 equal parts. Each piece should weigh approximately 80g.
- Then you must beat filets with a hammer to a thickness of 5 mm. Add a little salt (1 small pinch of salt) and pepper. Season only one side.
- Take the butter (60g) and cut into 6 bars (for 6 cutlets). Use warm hands to form oblong oval shapes from the butter bars. Pieces of butter should be dipped in a bowl of cold water to secure the form.
- Form Kyiv cutlets:
- Put the meat on the smooth side up. The important point: the loose side is breaded better than the smooth, the crumbs stick to the loose side better, so we wrap the smooth side inward and the loose side out. The butter pieces should be laid out on the edge. Turn the meat edges in such a way that they hid the butter and wrap the meat chop in a roll. Note: the butter must be completely covered with meat – otherwise it may leak during frying.
- Use wet hands to squeeze the roll to free it from excess. It is necessary to compress carefully, tightly, but without much effort. This procedure is important to keep cutlets in shape during cooking.
- Put the cutlets on a flat plate and place them in the fridge for 30-40 minutes, they should cool down well.
- Prepare a flat plate of flour, a bowl of breadcrumbs, a plate of beaten eggs, a board sprinkled with breadcrumbs for spreading breaded cutlets.
- Kyiv cutlets are breaded according to the following pattern: flour then eggs then crumbs then eggs and then crumbs.
- Put the cutlets on the board. Cool them by placing them in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Then take the pan and pour the oil there. The oil should cover the cutlets.
- Fry cutlets for 6 minutes in a well-heated oil (assuming that the cutlets are small, up to 120g).
- Serve on a small crouton or with a side dish, such as mashed potatoes. Enjoy your meal!