Cheddar Biscuits

August 15, 2013 · 59 comments

in Appetizer/Side, Bread/Baking, Breakfast, Recipe, Snack, Vegetarian

Butterless Cheddar Biscuits | hollyshelpings.comIf I could live in my PJ pants, I probably would.  Putting on “real” pants is always the worst part about getting up in the morning, and as soon as I get home from work I switch to my PJ pants.  On weekends, I’ll lounge around in them as long as I can.  I know there are some people that can’t do that and like to change out of their jammies to start the day.  That’s not me.  Is anyone else as attached to their pajamas as I am?

Butterless Cheddar Biscuits | hollyshelpings.com

One Saturday I really wanted biscuits.  I looked up a couple recipes was going through the ingredients I’d need.  ”Flour, baking powder, milk, butter…WAIT!”  I suddenly realized I didn’t have any butter.  I was torn.  Put on jeans and go get butter or forgo delicious cheddar biscuits?  After looking up several different butter substitutes (and not having any of them), I decided to mix together a few things and see what happened.  I needed cheddar biscuits, but there was no way I was putting on real pants.

Butterless Cheddar Biscuits | hollyshelpings.com

The result is the best cheddar biscuits I’ve ever had.  They were soft and fluffy.  They were perfectly moist and had a great crumb (and they don’t dry out if you store them which is an added bonus).

Butterless Cheddar Biscuits | hollyshelpings.comThe secret ingredient?  Greek yogurt!  I’m pretty sure that greek yogurt makes anything better at this point because it makes great biscuits, and mac and cheese, and great naan.

Cheddar Biscuits

• 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 6 oz fat free greek yogurt

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
  2. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cheese, and garlic powder in a big bowl and mix well.
  3. Add the olive oil, milk, and greek yogurt.
  4. Mix until uniform. You may need to mix with your hands to get the yogurt mixed in well.
  5. Scoop out approximately 1-1/2 inch balls and place on a oiled baking tray. These will expand some, so leave at least 1-1/2 inches between your biscuits.
  6. Place in oven for 15 minutes rotating halfway through.
  7. Let cool and then serve hot.
  8. To save, place in a ziplock baggie and refrigerate.
  9. Microwave for 20 seconds per biscuit to reheat.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Honeyville Gluten Free Almond Flour
Butterless Cheddar Biscuits | hollyshelpings.com

Butterless Cheddar Biscuits nutrition facts | hollyshelpings.com

{ 59 comments… read them below or add one }

Jazmin @ Frugality Gal August 17, 2013 at 4:59 PM

These look so delicious!!! I’m glad I’m not the only one that gets intense cravings and is always missing an ingredient. haha

Holly August 17, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I’m pretty sure this happens to me on a weekly basis. Haha.

Kim @ {enjoy the view} August 17, 2013 at 6:52 PM

These look delicious – just pinned the recipe! Thanks for sharing (saw them on Bewitch Me & Titi)!
Kim @ {enjoy the view} recently posted…Duck Tape® + Walmart = Back-to-School!

Holly August 17, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Thank you for sharing. :)

Stephanie August 18, 2013 at 8:42 AM

These look delicious! I can think of lot of things they will go with. Thanks!
Stephanie recently posted…Crayon Party Favors

Holly August 18, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Oh totally! I think they go really well with corn soup.

Sarah@WholeandHeavenlyOven August 18, 2013 at 12:03 PM

These look sooo delish!! I can’t believe there’s no butter in them! Definitely try them sometime this week.

Holly August 18, 2013 at 3:21 PM

You really won’t believe it when you taste them!

KC @ The Real Thing with the Coake Family August 18, 2013 at 5:21 PM

These look so yummy and what a great swap to use the greek yogurt!
KC
KC @ The Real Thing with the Coake Family recently posted…Make a Cute Gymnastic Ribbon {American Girl Crafts}

Holly August 18, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Yeah, I was worried it wouldn’t work at first. Luckily the result was awesome and now I want to try greek yogurt in other breads!

Dana August 18, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I am sooooo a pj person– my husband makes fun of me because I literally change back into them as soon as we get home!
That being said, these look great! I am convinced you could put greek yogurt in anything too. I can’t wait to try these- they look like a healthy alternative to our Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits that we make all the time.
Dana recently posted…Make a Framed Photo Collage For Less Than $15

Holly August 18, 2013 at 5:47 PM

They sort of taste like the Cheddar Bay Biscuits. I didn’t want to label them like that though just because it’s not really the same. But these are still so addictive!

Krista @ joyfulhealthyeats August 18, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Don’t you love it when a hap hazard plan comes together and turns into absolutely deliciousness! Your biscuits look awesome, can’t wait to try them! Thanks for sharing at Show Stopper Saturdays!
Krista @ joyfulhealthyeats recently posted…Link Party: Show Stopper Saturday #1

Holly August 18, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Definitely! I was crossing my fingers when I put them in the oven.

Lynn H @ Turnips 2 Tangerines August 18, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Can’t wait to try these biscuits with a bowl of Chili!! Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines
Lynn H @ Turnips 2 Tangerines recently posted…Guest Post Today!

Holly August 18, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Yum… that sounds perfect once it starts to get a little colder. Still pretty hot here in Phoenix!

Michelle August 18, 2013 at 6:48 PM

See, I wouldn’t have been so creative. I would have grumbled and put on real pants (because cheese biscuits trump pjs). But I wish I was a good enough baker to find nifty substitutes and stay in my comfortable pants!
Thank you for linking with See Ya in the Gumbo–I appreciate that you stopped by.
Michelle recently posted…See Ya in the Gumbo # 96 {potluck}

Holly August 18, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Hahaha. Yeah, I think I searched online for like an hour (in comfy pants, of course) trying to find a substitution for butter that I actually had. When these came out I was like “Paper! Pen! I need to write this down so I don’t forget!”

Jess August 18, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Wow – by looking at the photos, I never would have imagined that these didn’t have butter in them. Can’t wait to try this – what a great alternative to the classic!
Jess recently posted…5 Places to Eat in Bangkok Right Now

Holly August 18, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Thank you! They taste like they should have butter in them too.

Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box August 19, 2013 at 12:05 AM

I’ve never seen a biscuit recipe that uses yoghurt instead of butter. Have to try this – pinning! I’d be thrilled if you’d come on over to Pink Recipe Box and link up at Creative Wednesdays: http://pinkrecipebox.com/creative-wednesdays-with-pink-recipe-box-5/
Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box recently posted…Ooey-Gooey S’mores Brownies

Holly August 19, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Thanks for the link! I added my this post and I followed you on bloglovin so I can keep up with your blog. :)

Kim of Mo'Betta August 19, 2013 at 6:23 AM

Love this recipe! Pinning to try very soon!
Kim of Mo’Betta recently posted…Ham and Cheese Biscuit Pull Aparts

Holly August 19, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Thank you for sharing this on pinterest!

kitchen flavours August 19, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Hi,
I’m stopping by from Michelle’s.
These biscuits looks wonderful, I love cheddar and having the biscuits with butter is even better! A hot mug of coffee is just what I want with these biscuits!

Holly August 19, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Mm..that sounds like a good breakfast to me!

Elizabeth August 19, 2013 at 1:20 PM

These look great! Did you use fat free greek yogurt? Full fat?

Holly August 19, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I used fat free plain greek yogurt. Thanks for pointing out that I didn’t have that there. I’m going to add it now. :)

Jen Nikolaus August 19, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I totally agree – PJ pants are the BOMB!! As soon as I get home, I’m in PJ pants! Seriously dying to try this recipe. No butter?? Awesome! I love that it has greek yogurt! Pinning to try soon! Love your blog!

~Jen @ Yummy Healthy Easy
Jen Nikolaus recently posted…Slow Cooker Sweet & Sour Chicken

Holly August 20, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I’m trying to convince my office that PJ pants are acceptable work clothes. No luck yet. ;)

Thanks for sharing this on pinterest. I was just looking at your blog and I’m following you on bloglovin now. :)

Julie @ This Gal Cooks August 20, 2013 at 7:24 PM

When I get home from work, I always get into my comfy clothes, which consist of my PJ pants and a tank top. Now during the weekends I usually get up and get ready so I don’t end up lounging around the house but when I am done doing everything for the day, I am back in my PJs. They’re so comfortable!

I love these biscuits. They look SO good. Pinning and sharing on FB and Twitter. Thanks for sharing at Marvelous Mondays!
Julie @ This Gal Cooks recently posted…Pumpkin Cookie Bars with Butterscotch Chip Streusel

Carrie @ Frugal Foodie Mama August 21, 2013 at 5:50 AM

These biscuits sound so good! And I love baking with Greek yogurt. :)
Thank you for sharing at this week’s Marvelous Mondays party!
Carrie @ Frugal Foodie Mama recently posted…The Ultimate Slow Cooker Recipe Collection

Holly August 21, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I’m pretty sure Greek yogurt can be used to make everything a little more awesome. :)

Parrish (Life With The Crust Cut Off) August 21, 2013 at 2:42 PM

This looks awesome!!! We would love it if you would link up at our linky party:
Live every Wednesday to Sunday.
Hosted by:
http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/ Parrish @ Life with the Crust Cut Off
http://thissillygirlslife.com/ Dana @ This Silly Girl’s Life
We hope to see you there!

Holly August 21, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Thanks for sharing your link party link. I’ve added this post there. :)

Lisa @ Cooking with Curls August 21, 2013 at 10:37 PM

These biscuits look delicious. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing at Best of the Weekend! Pinning to our party board. Have a great week and please join us next Friday.

Holly August 22, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I’ll be sure to join! Thanks for pinning. :)

Christina at SWEET HAUTE August 22, 2013 at 5:59 PM

can I just say…..”YUM!”
Please share this and more at my linky party going on now. Add as many projects as you like. Hope to see you there…

Christina at
SWEET HAUTE
Thursday SWEET HAUTE Share Linky Party
Christina at SWEET HAUTE recently posted…Thursday SWEET HAUTE Share Linky Party

Holly August 23, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Who can refuse an invite like that! I’ll be sure to post a few things. :)

Ruth @ Living Well Spending Less August 23, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Oh yes, I am going to HAVE to make these! They sound delicious and look so buttery and good! Thank you for sharing the recipe and linking it up to Thrifty Thursday!
Ruth @ Living Well Spending Less recently posted…How I Got My Kids to Eat Their Vegetables

Holly August 23, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Yeah, these are so good. And there’s no butter actually in them (unless you’re like me an add butter to anything and everything….shhhh) ;)

Mackenzie @ Cheerios and Lattes August 23, 2013 at 6:48 PM

What a great substitute idea! Love it!

Holly August 23, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Thanks so much! I think I’m going to have to try making more bread with greek yogurt since this worked out so well.

Mary@Back to the Basics! August 27, 2013 at 4:12 AM

Fantastic Recipe Holly! YOU have been featured at Back to the Basics for Tuesdays with a Twist! Come on over and share what you’ve been working on.

Holly August 27, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Woohoo! Thanks so much Mary. That’s pretty awesome. :)

Anyonita August 27, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I’ve just called my husband at work and said, “Get Chobani on your way home!” lol. We are TOTALLY having this amazing looking biscuits tonight! :) Thanks so much for sharing! While I’m here commenting, I’d like to invite you to come party with us at Tasty Tuesdays! You can find this week’s party here, if you’re interested: http://anyonitanibbles.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/quick-dirty-tacos-chicken-carnitas.html
Anyonita recently posted…Quick & Dirty Tacos Chicken Carnitas Recipe + Tasty Tuesdays #25

Holly August 27, 2013 at 10:13 AM

That’s so awesome. You will be glad you made these! :) I added this to the Link Party.

Denise August 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I am part of the PJ club too. I can’t wait to try these. They look so beautiful! I bet they taste wonderful too. I found you at Tasty Tuesdays. I am so glad I did. Have a wonderful day!
Denise recently posted…Horseradish Bacon Ranch Dip

Holly August 27, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I’m glad you did as well! Thank you for stopping by. :)

Maria August 28, 2013 at 6:04 AM

These biscuits look wonderful! And I love how you used the Greek yogurt in them, I’ve been using it a lot in my baking too, and I love the flavor and texture that it adds! These look amazing! :)
Maria recently posted…Chocolate Banana Bread

Holly August 28, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Definitely! I see from the post in CommentLuv that you made some chocolate banana bread with Greek yogurt! Yum! How did you know I have some bananas that need to be used up? ;) What else have you made?

Jenni @ Jenni's Ferris Wheel of Food August 28, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I may need to make these! They look delicious. I love substituting yogurt in recipes! Stopping by from Tasty Tuesdays!
Jenni @ Jenni’s Ferris Wheel of Food recently posted…Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites

Holly August 28, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I’m always surprised how well things with yogurt turn out. It’s awesome!

Karen September 7, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Those look amazing! Thanks for improvising so you could discover this yumminess and share it with us!

Holly September 7, 2013 at 11:27 AM

You’re welcome. :D

Julie Wood September 14, 2013 at 7:52 AM

I consider Pajama pants real pants and almost leave the house in them. They are so comfy! But these Cheddar biscuits are to die for. I love this recipe, and this would be good with a Pot Roast with potatoes and carrots. Yum!

Maria Iemma September 18, 2013 at 6:22 AM

I am salivating right now looking at the pictures you posted. I am going to try this recipe this weekend and will serve it with my crock pot spare ribs.

Linda November 24, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I made these biscuits last night and we loved them. I like adding greek yogurt in where ever we can. Thanks so much for this recipe.

Holly December 1, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I’m so glad you liked these biscuits. Greek yogurt is so healthy, it’s great to try to use it more!