Skittles Vodka Party Favors

December 28, 2011 · 64 comments

in Alcohol, Drinks, Gluten Free, Lactose Free, Recipe, Vegan, Vegetarian

Skittles Vodka

Isn’t that just what you always want to see when you come to a blog?  Rainbow alcohol.  Absolutely (pun intended)!  Skittles Vodka is great like that.

Skittles Vodka

With New Year’s Eve coming up, everyone is looking for ideas for their party.  One party I had in college was a “Taste the Rainbow” party.  We infused vodka with each flavor of skittles and had everyone dress up in skittles colors.  Everyone looked funny in their rainbow outfits and had a great time.  The skittles vodka was a hit too.  When I was thinking of things that would make party favors I thought of mini bottles of alcohol.  That seemed boring so then my boyfriend thought of mini bottles of skittles vodka!  Brilliant!

Skittles Vodka

Skittles vodka tastes fruity and delicious, but it’s very strong so be careful.  You can mix this alcohol with fruity juices, sprite, or even ginger ale.  It also tastes good just by itself.  Have fun with this, but remember to be responsible too.  Happy New Year’s everyone!

UPDATE THAT WILL ROCK YOUR WORLD:  Mix the orange skittles vodka with cranberry juice.   It’s magical.  And when you’re done with that, mix the yellow skittles vodka with lime margarita mix.  Delicious.  Ok, continue with the normal post.

Also, I always wondered what the bottles of Absolut say on them.  They have a novel written right on the label.  In case you were curious too, the bottles read, “This superb vodka was distilled from grain grown in the rich fields of southern Sweden. It has been produced at the famous old distilleries near Ahus in accordance with more than 400 years of Swedish tradition.  Vodka has been sold under the name Absolut since 1879.”  History of Absolut on the label.  There you go.

Skittles Vodka

Recipe:

Printable Version

Ingredients and Equipment:

1 lb bag of skittles

30 mini bottles of vodka

Coffee Filters

5 empty containers with lids (water bottles, tupperware, I used cups with plastic wrap on top)

Funnel (or crazy good pouring skills)

Prep time: 45 minutes

Inactive time:  1 day

Cooking Instructions:

Separate all the skittles by color. Pour 6 of the mini bottles of vodka into one of the empty containers.  Save the mini bottles  Add 120-150 red skittles.  Repeat this with all the colors.  You should have 5 containers with skittles of different colors in vodka at the end.  Stir each container.  Cover each container and set aside for at least 24 hours or until the skittles are dissolved.  Shaking or stirring occasionally helps.

Once dissolved, get out about 4 coffee filters and pour a portion of one color through the filters into an empty cup.  Once the flow rate slows down, squeeze the liquid through like how your supposed to squeeze a toothpaste bottle (back to tip).  If there is still white gelatin floating, filter again. Continue this until there is minimal gelatin floating in the vodka.  If your friends are like mine, they won’t care about a little bit left.  I found that the white gelatin stands out most in the green and purple so I filter these twice.  Repeat this until you have filtered all of one color.  Use the funnel or your pouring skills to pour the vodka back into the mini bottles.  Repeat this for each color.  Depending on how many filters you used and how many times you filtered, you may not end up with as many mini bottles full as you started.  You can fill the mini bottles that are only part full using more vodka if you want or just have extra mini bottles for other uses.  You should end up with about 5 or 6 bottles of each color.  Use as party favors for New Year’s or any other adult party.  Enjoy!

Skittles Vodka

{ 54 comments… read them below or add one }

jennifer a mergott December 28, 2011 at 1:28 PM

This is such a great idea. I’m definitely gonna try it!

Holly December 28, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Thanks! It’s a lot of fun to do with friends.

Cathy @ Savory Notes December 28, 2011 at 10:32 PM

My friend has been bugging me for awhile now, to make him Skittles vodka, and I never thought to of making it in the little nip-sized bottles. What a great idea!

Holly December 29, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Thanks! It’s basically the same as making big bottles, but I think it’s much cuter.

Lisa December 28, 2011 at 10:58 PM

So cool – I love it! Going to try it for New Years!

Brandi P. December 29, 2011 at 3:08 AM

Can you do it with things other than vodka? Like rum or white tequila!?

Holly December 29, 2011 at 10:00 AM

I never have, but I don’t see why not. Vodka usually doesn’t add much of it’s own taste to it so you really only taste the skittles. If you try it with other alcohol, let me know how it goes. I’d be interested to hear.

IamSimplyTia December 29, 2011 at 4:39 AM

Can I please steal? I just made berry infused vodka last week and I’ve been hearing a lot about skittles vodka. I am so going to try this with the 200ml bottles though. Yours is just beautiful!!!!!

Holly December 29, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Steal away! Berry infused vodka sounds delicious!

Shumaila December 29, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Love it!

intomind December 29, 2011 at 4:48 PM

oh wow i love this! such a cute idea!

Tamz December 29, 2011 at 8:29 PM

I have made Jolly Rancher vodka, quite a bit easier since there is no filtering involved. But WAY better color from the skittles!! I love the mini bottle idea too!

Holly December 29, 2011 at 8:31 PM

I thought about doing Starburst vodka, but I didn’t want to risk it coming out gross. The filtering is really lame, so I think I’ll try Jolly Ranchers next time. Great idea! Thanks for posting.

Amy January 3, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I LOVE this idea! Looks tasty!

Holly January 3, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Thanks!

Jen January 18, 2012 at 8:46 AM

This looks so Awesome!! I love Vodka and will definitely be trying this! Such an awesome idea…I will be sharing!!

Holly January 18, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Thanks! Vodka is definitely one of my favorite liquors (but which one isn’?).

roxie January 25, 2012 at 5:03 PM

FYI…. the white stuff that you filter out is NOT gelatin… it is wax from the skittles. Anyone who is vegetarian can still drink/make the Skittles vodka because there is NO gelatin in Skittles. Being vegetarian myself, I just wanted to clarify!

Holly January 25, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Cool! Thanks for the info!

Kherington February 13, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I have a question, the more skittles that are added the drink would taste a lot more like skittles right? I know it seems like a dumb question but a friend and I are trying it and would like for it to come out darn there perfect the first time, being really fruity. Thanks.

Holly February 13, 2012 at 5:56 PM

They would be more flavorful, but it would also take FOREVER to filter all of the skittle white junk out. The ones that I made were very flavorful already and I used a little more skittles than usual. You can definitely try using more, but just remember that it will take more time for the skittles to dissolve and more time to filter the vodka.

Mandy February 20, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Fun! We used to put jolly ranchers in vodka or in zimas or smirnoff coolers a long time ago.,.
This brought that memorie back! Lol

Deborah (Snackers Delight) February 27, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Oh this looks like great fun!!!! :D

Stef at TooMuchToDoSoLittleTime.com March 15, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I found you through Pinterest. This sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing!!

Laura March 25, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I was wondering where you got the mini bottles of Absolut vodka?

Holly March 25, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Most liquor stores will have little stands up front that have mini bottles in them. They usually have Absolut and a bunch of other types of alcohol (it’s great for sampling to see if you like a certain flavor or type of alcohol). I’d just go to the closest liquor store and ask where they keep the mini bottles if you don’t see them.

Sara April 28, 2012 at 6:04 PM

how big are the bottles of vodka? the only mini bottles we have in our store here are the 10 dollar ones :S they dont sell the 1 shot ones here :(

Holly June 6, 2012 at 6:07 PM

You can use bigger bottles. The ones I’ve shown in the pictures are the 1 shot bottles. But you can scale it to use bigger bottles. Maybe get a bottle for each flavor and then just keep them separate for a party.

Michelle June 6, 2012 at 11:42 AM

This is great, thanks!
Question- could you do this in a half batch with only 15 mini bottles and half the amount of skittles? The absolut mini bottles are $3.29 each and I didn’t want to spend that much. Could it work with other vodka brands? Thanks!!

Holly June 6, 2012 at 6:06 PM

You can definitely do this with other brands of vodka! You can also do it in smaller batches. I actually only did it for a the bottles you see in the pictures because I didn’t need them for a party. If you didn’t want to make them party favors, you could also do a use fifths or handles and that would also save you some money.

Skyee June 16, 2012 at 10:29 PM

I was wondering if this can be done with nerds? Even though it’ll take A LOT of nerds, lol!

Holly June 17, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Whoa. That would be so awesome! You should try it and report back with how it goes. What about warheads for some sour vodka? I’m going to have to try that this weekend.

Kassie July 4, 2012 at 6:40 AM

I’m going to make a sour batch using sour starburst jelly jeans! 6 flavors there and one is sour blue raspberry!! :) )

Michele H. July 24, 2012 at 10:01 AM

I make my own Green Apple martinis using green apple hard candies (alot) and 151 Absolute. Let it sit shaking now and again for about 36 hours. Then toss in the freezer to keep on hand. Rim the glass with coarse sugar, mix with a Moutain Dew type dilutant. Be very careful as these go down very easily.

Ki M October 23, 2012 at 11:43 PM

I love the bottle, where can I buy it?

Holly October 24, 2012 at 9:45 PM

The little bottles are just from a regular liquor store that sells minis. I don’t have the flavored vodka for sale anywhere, but it’s pretty simple if you want to make your own.

jul November 29, 2012 at 6:36 AM

Making these for unique christmas gifts for all the big girls in the family. I’m using the 200 ml size bottles and they look so cute. Thanks for the idea and know how.

Norma January 30, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Did you use all 4 coffee filters at once to filter or just use 1 filter at a time? Thanks! Cute idea!!

Holly April 10, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Hey Norma! I just used one at a time. I ended up needing more filters because they’d get clogged with the gelatin.

Jennifer May 30, 2013 at 6:04 AM

Hey!! I love this idea, but was wondering is maybe a tea strainer or a really tightly woven colander would work for the filtering, or do you think the gelatin would still get through?

Holly June 4, 2013 at 7:36 PM

I think the gelatin would still get through, but it’s worth a shot. If you try it, you can post back here and let us know how it went!

Naiomi July 23, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Great idea!! I’m throwing a surprise party for my husband and I’m going to use these as party favors. How long in advance can I make them?

Holly July 23, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Hello Naiomi! I would try to use them within a week or two. They shouldn’t go bad too quickly because of the alcohol, but I wouldn’t want to risk it either. I’m glad you’re going to try it out.

kellie September 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM

did you really mean 120-150 skittles?

Holly September 6, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Hey Kellie! I used 25-30 per mini bottle so I just multiplied to get that number. It’d be super tedious to count them all out and guestimating it totally acceptable in my book. Thanks for stopping by!

kellie September 6, 2013 at 4:09 PM

thank you. im going to make them for my big birthday party coming up. I think I will put them in decorative bags with mini 7ups.

Colleen Schindler September 13, 2013 at 1:00 AM

What a great idea! These look so cool, I love the colors!! This would be a neat idea for a wedding shower, esp when you’re on a limited budget like my cousin is. I will have to run this by her, it looks like something she would like. Thanks !

Holly September 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Thanks! They came out a lot better than I expected too. :)

Emily Hudson September 15, 2013 at 8:08 PM

That amount of mini bottles must have cost you heaps! They look amazing though, definitely would make them if I could afford it. I think the orange one would be the best!

Holly September 16, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I cheated and only got the ones that you see here. Another idea would be to buy one big bottle and then just some smaller containers and do it that way. Definitely would be cheaper if you could find a pack of small shot glasses or something at the dollar store.

Reinie September 21, 2013 at 6:57 AM

Made 6 dozen minis with 5 lbs of skittles. Used mason jars as containers. Coffee filters did not work so used cheese cloth and then an old white (clean) t shirt to filter. Came out great and will be using them for favors for my best friends 30th surprise party tomorrow. Also- purchased svedka minis. Same quality of Absolut but much cheaper!

Holly September 21, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Good idea on the cheese clothe and old t shirt! I hope your friend has a great day and enjoys the mini skittles vodka!

Wim November 28, 2013 at 6:53 AM

This is perfeeeeect! A friend of mine linked me this after I mentioned a Neon-themed party this weekend. I called all over for small bottles anywhere and eventually found a place I could buy 36 bottles for only 20 euros. Now I just need to find skittles somewhere. 1lb or half a kilo seems a bit small thouh for the amount of skits you mentioned o.O

Holly December 1, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Oh man. A neon party sounds so awesome! Have fun!