Red Wine Tomato Sauce
Everyone needs a good tomato sauce recipe. This red wine tomato sauce one is my favorite since it can be used for anything from pastas to dips and even on pizza. I think pizza is probably my favorite application of tomato sauce….and cheese…and bread. Pizza is amazing.
But back to this red wine tomato sauce. It has a great depth of flavor and the red wine really brings out the tomato flavors. You can also never go wrong with a lot of garlic (unless you’re a vampire, I suppose). For us regular people, this tomato sauce is loaded with garlic and that makes it extra tasty. The carrots and celery might be a little unexpected, but they are used as a foundation for the flavors. You don’t taste them individually in the sauce, just the delicious tomatoes.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 14 oz can pealed tomatoes with juices
- 1 can tomato paste
- salt to taste
- optional: crushed red pepper, honey
- Heat the olive oil in a deep sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the finely chopped onion, carrot, and celery to the oil and cook until the onion just begins to brown.
- Add in the minced garlic and the dried herbs. If using, add in the crushed red pepper. Cook for about 30 seconds.
- Pour in the red wine and stir.
- Add in the pealed tomatoes and crush them with your hand as you pour them in. Stir in the tomato paste.
- Allow to simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes.
- Taste and add salt as needed. If you like your sauce a little sweeter, add a small amount of honey.
- If you want a smooth sauce (perhaps for pizza), pour this in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Allow to cool and store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
P.S. Don’t forget to enter my Thanksgiving Kitchen Tools Giveaway!
a Rafflecopter giveaway