Calzones

August 11, 2013 · 55 comments

in Bread/Baking, Dinner, Lunch, Meat-afiable, Recipe, Vegetarian

Calzone recipes are good for a lot of things (like filling hungry bellies), but they were especially handy last week.  I was traveling for work for a few days.  It was exciting because it was my first business trip and I felt super official plus I was going to Washington and got to see a few friends while I was up there.  Calzones | hollyshelpings.comWhenever I’m gone though, I worry about my boyfriend.  It probably doesn’t help that one time I was away he ended up in the hospital getting stitches after tripping on a dog toy (don’t worry, he’s perfectly fine aside from a few scars). Someone tell me I’m not alone in worrying  about things at home while traveling!  How do you deal with worry?

CalzonesIn preparation for being gone, I always make sure there are lots of easy meals for him to prepare himself.  One less thing I can worry about!  Usually I buy frozen meals or make things he can just reheat in the microwave really easily.  This time I tried something new.

Calzones | hollyshelpings.com

I made calzones the night before and half-baked some of them.  I then froze them so he could stick them in the toaster oven or regular oven and have fresh baked calzones.  I fully baked some as well (so we could have them for dinner) and so he could microwave them if he was feeling extra lazy.

Calzones

Active Time: 10 minutes

Inactive Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

Yield: 8 calzones

Serving Size: 1 calzone

Calzones

Homemade and fresh calzones are easy to make and easy to store.

Ingredients

Instructions

1. Prepare pizza dough if needed following the instructions.
  2. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F with a baking stone in it if using.
  3. If using my pizza dough recipe, divide dough into 8 equal portions after the first rising.
  4. Roll out the dough to be about 1/4 inch thin (about 6-ish inches in diameter).
  5. Fill with toppings and add cheese on top so it melts throughout the inside.
  6. Seal the edges by rolling them or by pressing them with a fork.
  7. Lightly cut the top with three strikes.
  8. Sprinkle the baking stone with cornmeal if using. If not using, lightly grease a baking sheet.
  9. Place the prepared calzones on the baking stone or baking sheet. Calzones do not spread much so you can place them fairly close to one another.
  10. Bake for 7-8 minutes.
  11. Remove if half baking and allow to cool before freezing.
  12. If fully cooking them, brush tops with olive oil. Place back in oven and bake for another 7-8 minutes until tops are golden brown.
  13. Allow to cool slightly to avoid burning your mouth and then serve immediately with a side of tomato dipping sauce.

Notes

Total time excludes preparing the dough.

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

{ 54 comments… read them below or add one }

Jessica @mommyenvy August 11, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Looks amazing! Thanks for sharing!
Jessica @mommyenvy recently posted…Cilantro Lime Sauce and Corn Salsa

Holly August 11, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Thank you. I’m glad you stopped by! :)

Jill August 11, 2013 at 6:21 PM

These look delicious Holly, your boyfriend is certainly well looked after! :) I’ve pinned this recipe to try myself sometime too!
Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
Jill recently posted…A Round Tuit 166

Holly August 11, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Thank you! My boyfriend really enjoyed them too. Win!

Julie @ This Gal Cooks August 11, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I was traveling for work last week as well. The only thing I worry about when I’m out of town is coming home to a mess in my kitchen. My boyfriend lacks in dish washing skills meaning he is too lazy to do them. At least a few dirty dishes is all I came home to!

Great looking recipe! Pinning and sharing on FBI and Twitter. Thanks for sharing at Marvelous Mondays!
Julie @ This Gal Cooks recently posted…Link Party: Marvelous Mondays #59

Holly August 11, 2013 at 9:12 PM

That would be nice. My boyfriend forgot I made these calzones and had sandwiches while I was away. He’s silly sometimes….

Julie @ This Gal Cooks August 12, 2013 at 4:37 AM

Ha! I made a casserole so mine would have leftovers to eat but you know what he did? He ordered pizza the first night I was gone and ate that. Seriously, any chance he has to eat pizza he will take. I like pizza but I can’t eat it as much as he does!
Julie @ This Gal Cooks recently posted…Summer Crock Pot Recipes & A Giveaway!

Shamene @Say it with Cake August 12, 2013 at 10:16 AM

yum these calzones look so good!!! I pinned it and liked you on facebook, can you like me back? thanks!

Holly August 12, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Thank you! And of course I’ll like you back. :) Your cakes look so beautiful.

Katrina Vega August 12, 2013 at 1:12 PM

These look amazing! Pinning to try out later :)

Holly August 12, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Woohoo! Thanks for sharing. :)

Kristina & Millie August 12, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Found via give me the goods. Sounds so yummy and is one of my son’s fav foods. I can’t wait to try this!
Kristina & Millie recently posted…Crochet Bath sponge by Kristina

Holly August 12, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I’m glad you came by! I hope your son enjoys the food. :)

Shawna August 14, 2013 at 6:50 AM

These look so good and would be great for leftovers! Visiting from the shady porch.

Holly August 14, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I’m so glad you clicked through to this post!

Amy | Club Narwhal August 14, 2013 at 7:13 AM

I totally wish you would stock my kitchen with delicious and easy meals like these :) We have a weekly pizza night and these calzones look like a fun way to jazz things up (also, do you watch Parks & Rec? I love Ben Wyatt’s obsession with calzones). I am a classic worry wart when I’m traveling, always sure that I left an iron on somewhere or left to door unlocked. Stopping by from Two Girls and a Party :)
Amy | Club Narwhal recently posted…FOOD VIDEO | EASTERN MARKET PANZANELLA

Holly August 14, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I just started Parks & Rec on Netflix and love it so far! I’m just in season 2 so I don’t think I’ve met that character yet, but he sounds awesome. Anyone that loves calzones is on my good side.

Parrish (Life With The Crust Cut Off) August 14, 2013 at 10:34 AM

This looks awesome!!! We would love it if you would link up at our linky party:
Live every Wednesday to Sunday.
Hosted by:
http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/ Parrish @ Life with the Crust Cut Off
http://thissillygirlslife.com/ Dana @ This Silly Girl’s Life
We hope to see you there!

Holly August 14, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Thanks for the link! I’ve actually already submitted this to the link party. :) I’m glad you like it.

Cindy @Hun... What's for Dinner? August 14, 2013 at 1:02 PM

We love calzones for dinner. It’s a great twist on pizza night. Thank you for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday.
Cindy @Hun… What’s for Dinner? recently posted…Guest Blogger~ Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen

Holly August 14, 2013 at 1:19 PM

It’d be such an easy switch too. Just add some ricotta and fold it over (and maybe leave the sauce on the side).

Emily August 14, 2013 at 9:50 PM

oh yum! Calzones are one of my husbands favs! Pinned and a new Bloglovin flower… I’m currently hosting a Sewing series called Sew Many Books.. I’d love for you to come over and check it out! EMily @nap-timecreations.com
Emily recently posted…Sew Many Books {Bones, Bones, Dinosaur Bones}

Holly August 15, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Thanks for following! I love the dinosaur shirts you just posted too. Such a great idea.

Shanna Gilbert August 14, 2013 at 9:55 PM

These look delicious! I am going to have to try these!
Shanna Gilbert recently posted…I’m Co-Hosting a Linky Party … And No Baby Yet

Holly August 15, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I’d love to hear how it goes. :)

Tina August 14, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Hi Holly! This recipe and the one on making bread that you linked up at Booknificent Thursday look absolutely delicious! Unfortunately, I’ve had to delete them from the link-up as it is a link up specifically dedicated to posts about books, literacy, and reading. I am hoping to start a recipe link-up in the not-too-distant future, and when I do, I’d love to have you join it. Your recipes are beautiful!
Have a great day!
Tina
Tina recently posted…Booknificent Thursday Link-up Party #6!

Holly August 15, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Oh my goodness. I’m so embarrassed! That’ll teach me to try to post on link parties right before going to bed.

Amy Perdew August 15, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Calzones are such a great quick meal. I feel you on leaving the men at home. I left a freezer full of premade dinners for him. Your calzone looks nice and filling.Thanks for linking up with “Inspiration in Progress.”

Holly August 15, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Yeah, if I don’t have a bunch of food and clean clothes left for him, I just get worried! Thank you for visiting. :)

Angel August 15, 2013 at 9:58 AM

These look delicious.
Thanks for sharing with us at our Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop.

Angel @ sewcraftyangel.blogspot.com

Holly August 15, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I’m glad you stopped by. :)

Sarah @ Domestically Made August 15, 2013 at 11:21 AM

This looks great, and I am definitely going to give it a try. My husband will love this!
Sarah @ Domestically Made recently posted…Strawberry and Grilled Chicken Summer Salad

Holly August 15, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Thanks, Sarah!

Amanda C. August 15, 2013 at 4:12 PM

These look so yummy! Thanks for sharing this idea. I will need to make these soon!

New follower from Consider Me Inspired.
Amanda C. recently posted…Kitchen Makeover

Holly August 15, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Yay! Thanks for following. :)

Katherines Corner August 15, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Yummy. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop. I featured you on facebook. xo
Katherines Corner recently posted…Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop 101

Holly August 15, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Awesome! I followed you back. :)

Krista @ joyfulhealthyeats August 15, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Looks delicious, I am already thinking of the toppings I can use! Can’t wait!
Krista @ joyfulhealthyeats recently posted…Carrot Zucchini Bread

Holly August 15, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Sometimes that’s the hardest part for me. What to put in the calzone!

momstheword August 16, 2013 at 7:55 PM

That looks yummy AND easy! I have never made calzones before but love the idea of having some in the freezer. I like to make a bunch of burritos and stick THEM in the freezer for my hubby or kids to grab a quick meal. So I’m going to try the calzones too!

Thanks for sharing and thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday! :)

Holly August 17, 2013 at 8:07 AM

I’m so glad that you stopped by. :) I’m sure your kids and hubby will love them.

Lori Who Needs A Cape? August 17, 2013 at 6:23 PM

First visit to your site, these Calzones look mouthwatering! Found on Totally Tasty Tuesdays :)

We’re hosting our SUPER SUNDAY Link Party and we’d love to have these linked, our readers will also enjoy!

Lori
Who Needs A Cape?
Not Your Average Super Moms!

Holly August 17, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Thank you for inviting me to the Link Party! I added 2 posts from this week. Also, I love the name of your blog. So cute!

Mary@Back to the Basics! August 20, 2013 at 4:46 AM

I make something similar for my husband when I go visit my family in California. There are never any leftovers!
Thanks so much for sharing at Back to the Basics for Tuesdays with a Twist!
Come on over and share your new posts.

Mary@Back to the Basics! recently posted…Tuesdays with a Twist #20 on the 20th!!!

Holly August 20, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Thanks for visiting. I added 2 links to today’s link party. :)

Sarah August 20, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Looks amazing!! Thank you so much for sharing & linking up at Thank You Honey’s Whatever Wednesday Party!!

Holly August 20, 2013 at 4:51 PM

An thank you for hosting such a great link party. :)

Krista Low August 22, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Holly! These calzone’s look great! I know my boys would love making their own versions of these. I am featuring this fun recipe idea @ Great Idea Thursday’s! Thanks so much for linking up with me :) Krista @ A Handful of Everything

Holly August 22, 2013 at 9:46 AM

That sounds like fun! What a great idea to involve the whole family. Thanks for featuring this recipe!

Sara @ Content in the Meantime August 22, 2013 at 2:29 PM

This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing this on my blog hop!
Sara @ Content in the Meantime recently posted…What Are You Doing? Wednesday Blop Hop #17

Holly August 23, 2013 at 9:44 AM

And thank you for hosting such a great blog hop. :)

Del @ Spud Nails August 28, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Your calzones looks AMAZING. I wouldn’t mind having you pop by my kitchen any time ;) Pinning this to my board now.

Found you through Whatcha Work-up Wednesday.

xx Del
Del @ Spud Nails recently posted…Mystical saran wrap nail art

Holly August 30, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Yay! Thank you for sharing. :)

Julie Wood September 16, 2013 at 8:36 AM

You are going to Washington State you say, that is where I live! I hope you had a good time visiting. That is so nice preparing good meals for your boyfriend while you are away. I just love Calzones! They are so delicious! These are so easy, even I can do! Thanks for the recipe.