I apologize in advanced. I held out on you. I didn’t post this recipe for a VERY long time. There’s this thing called the Daring Kitchen and they have a division called the Daring Bakers. They have one recipe a month all the members make and post about on the same day. You have to do it at least 8 times a year (I think…I’m a little fuzzy on the rules). I did all of one challenge (the armenian pastry – nazook challenge) and forgot to post on the right day. I was so embarrassed I never posted it and I never did another challenge. The nazook recipe was delicious, my pictures came out well, I was just my typical forgetful self. Please forgive me and accept this recipe in exchange.
Have you ever done something like that? Forgot about something or messed it up and tried to brush under a mental rug so you didn’t have to think about it? I do it all the time. I forgot to turn in a homework assignment? Delete all evidence there ever was homework. I didn’t get my boyfriend’s lunch meat at the grocery store? “Oh, sorry honey. It didn’t make it on my list. I don’t recall you asking for that.” Sometimes it’s just easier. But sometimes you have to own up and admit it. That’s what I’m doing now. And I’m offering you awesome cookies in exchange. I think you’re really getting a good deal here.
These things are perfect. Not too sweet, not too dry. These are great for parties where you can be like “Oh, have you tried my Armenian cookies. They’re called ‘nazooks‘” and you get to sound awesome and fancy.
Here‘s the video that was posted with the recipe. It really helped me because at first I was a little afraid of making pastry dough. I love to bake bread, but pastries are a little frightening for me.
(copied from the Daring Baker’s Challenge here)
- 3 cups (720 ml) (420 gm/15 oz) all-purpose (plain) flour, sifted
- 2½ teaspoons (12½ ml) (7 gm) (¼ oz) (1 packet) active dry yeast
- 1 cup (240 ml) (225 gm/8 oz) sour cream
- 1 cup (2 sticks) (240 ml) (225 gm/8 oz) softened butter (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) (210 gm) (7½ oz) all-purpose (plain) flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) (340 gm/12 oz) sugar
- 3/4 cup (1½ sticks) (180 ml) (170 gm/6 oz) softened butter (room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla extract (I got adventurous and added some hazelnut flavored syrup instead. It was awesome.)
- 1-2 egg yolks (for the wash; alternatively, some yogurt, egg whites, or a whole egg)
Servings: Makes 40 small cookies
Active time: 20 minutes
Inactive time: 10 minutes
Please visit the Daring Baker’s site and give them some love.
Now it’s your turn!
- What do you do when you mess up? Is it better than shoving it away like I do?
- What is your favorite type of dessert?
I hope you’re all having a great week and I can’t wait to hear from you!