I love plums. They are my second favorite food (because whose favorite food isn’t mac and cheese?). When I saw them in the store for the first time this year, I freaked out. There weren’t very many and they were way overpriced because it’s not quite plum season yet, but I bought some anyway. Generally I feel like modifying food is not the best idea, but if I could have plums year round, I’d look the other way.
Driving home from the store, I came up with a brilliant idea: plum margaritas! Why not combine an awesome alcoholic drink with an awesome fruit? This plum margarita was delicious. I’m going to have to buy extra plums now so I can make this drink all the time. Now, I know places that aren’t Phoenix are still cold, but margaritas are delicious year round so don’t let the cold stop you from trying plum margaritas.
- 2 plums
- 1 lime
- 2 shots tequila
- 1 shot triple sec (orange liquor)
- salt or sugar
- Cut three slices out of one of the plums. Remove the pit from the remaining plums and cut off the skin (don't worry about leaving a little of the flesh on the skin because you can eat that later and it's still delicious). Cut the lime in half and juice both halves.
- In a blender, combine the plums, lime juice, tequila, and triple sec. Blend until liquid.
- Pour salt or sugar on a plate. Run one of the plum skin pieces around the rim of a margarita or martini glass to moisten it. Dip the wet rim into the salt or sugar to coat. Add a few ice cubes to the glass. Pour the plum liquid into the glass. Garnish with the plum slices.
- Enjoy immediately while imagining you're on a warm beach!