There have been times in my life where I lived on quesadillas. I’ve always been a picky eater and cheese and bread are my go-to foods. You can’t go wrong. The quesadilla was one of my favorite combinations of the two. Some people just stick it in the microwave, but the key is to make it on the stove. Then it gets a nice crispy crust and crunches when you bite into it instead of just being soggy and floppy.
One day I was struck with a brilliant idea. Why not put pizza toppings in a quesadilla?! It was brilliant. I got out all my favorite toppings (including pepperoni for the boyfriend) and made a quesadilla pizza. Or a “pizzadilla” according to the boyfriend. I think that looks like a dinosaur name, but sometimes weird things catch on. Like whiskeryberry ale.
- 1 flour tortilla
- small amount of butter or olive oil
- 2 slices cheese (I used cheddar, but mozzarella might give it a more pizza feel)
- 2 slices tomato
- your favorite pizza toppings (I used spinach, mushrooms, and pepperoni)
- Cover one side of the tortilla in butter or olive oil. Place the cheese, tomato, and pizza toppings on one half of the un-buttered side of the tortilla.
- Place in a frying pan and heat over medium heat. Cook on one side until lightly brown. Flip carefully and cook until the other side is also light brown. If the cheese is not melting fast enough or the outside is browning too quickly, put a lid on the pan and turn the heat down.
- Serve immediately while the cheese is still nice and gooey.